Creative and analytical, results-oriented content strategist, editor and writer specializing in digital and print media; skilled at successfully driving content-related projects and strategies for startups, major media publications and brands.
February 2015 – Present
Content Design Lead
- Lead content design projects within highly collaborative, interdisciplinary teams that include interaction and visual designers, brand strategists and copywriters;
- Work with clients to define brand messaging, communication hierarchies and content needs via content audits, competitive analyses, user research, gap analyses and more;
- Lead content design and service design workshops and activities, and develop content POVs and content recommendations;
- Oversee content development, define nomenclatures, labeling systems and reusable content components, and write user interface copy for wireframes and comps.
IAC/InterActive Corp (formerly ValueClick Brands)
January 2014 – August 2014
- Led the execution of IAC’s consumer health website’s content, branding, editorial and social media strategies, which increased organic traffic 35% and grew revenue to $10M;
- Oversaw content production, ideated and drove development of new content types and topic packages, and managed editorial budgets;
- Collaborated with an Information Architect to build taxonomies and tagging systems, design navigational flows, conduct usability tests, and map user journeys;
- Tracked and analyzed various Web and UX metrics, analytics and KPIs, and led the effort in optimizing each piece of content.
November 2012 – January 2014
Director, Content (previously Sr. Manager, Content; promoted to Director Content in August 2013)
- Developed content strategies for ValueClick Brands’ owned-and-operated publishing and e-commerce properties, including Investopedia.com and Symptomfind.com;
- Crafted a strategic vision for a new enterprise CMS designed to support multichannel publishing, defined the platform’s content requirements, and oversaw implementation;
- Supervised the U.S. content team, growing the team from four editors to nearly 10, built a network of freelance writers and subject-matter experts, defined new workflows, and instituted guidelines that improved content quality and unified the brand’s voice.
Builders Digital Experience
May 2012 – October 2012
- Helped define and implement a content and social media strategy for Builders Digital Experience’s flagship site, NewHomeSource.com, the highest-ranking resource of new home listings, which significantly increased conversions and grew social media fans 20x;
- Edited and wrote stories, and managed the site’s social media accounts and blog.
April 2011 – May 2012
Manager, Content Solutions
Provided custom content experiences for off-network brands, such as RadioShack, National Geographic, Hidden Valley and USA Today, and helped grow the business to more than $15M in annual revenue;
Worked directly with partners to define content needs, and conceived and executed customized editorial strategies designed to meet the business goals of partners;
Oversaw content development for partners, leading kickoff calls and routine meetings with project leads, developing editorial calendars and production schedules, and managing a four-person, in-house editorial team.
October 2008 – April 2011
- Created and managed Demand Media Studios’ editorial guidelines, including all vertical-specific, site-specific and template-specific guidelines;
- Developed new workflows, content types, educational webinars, product tools and more.
February 2008 – April 2008
Taxonomy Specialist & Title Manager
- Helped develop Demand Media’s proprietary titling tool, creating titling standards and categorization strategies using SEO techniques, an evolving taxonomy and various other linguistic practices.
Austin Monthly magazine
June 2006 – February 2008
- Ideated, assigned, edited and wrote department stories, features and headlines;
- Developed, launched and managed all content for the magazine’s website;
- Proofread the magazine, oversaw the fact-checking process, and managed interns.
June 2006 – February 2008
- Managed the weekend content for the positive news website, browsed newswires, uploaded stories, and curated the homepage.
April 2006 – June 2006
- Oversaw editorial operations, sorted through story pitches, tracked advertising rates and profits, and uploaded fresh content on a daily basis.
August 2005 – March 2006
- Planned all original content production, supervised nearly 200 international freelance writers, and managed the editorial budget and
Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine
August 2004 – August 2005
- Wrote and pitched articles, fact-checked copy, edited original manuscripts, copy edited the publication, and responded to reader mail.
Freelance Writer & Copy Editor
May 2008 – Present
- Pitch, write and copy edit features, profiles and department stories for various print and online publications, including FILTER magazine, Cracked.com, Lincoln & Rose, Austin Monthly, Centro Y Sur, and Celeb Life magazine.
The University of Texas at Austin – Bachelor of Arts in Journalism
Strategic planning; content strategy; content development and management; analytics, data and user behavior analysis; editorial planning and budgeting; writing; editing; copy editing; copywriting; SEO; CMS requirements and integration; building and managing editorial teams; social media; UX; HTML; taxonomy; and information architecture.